Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Invisible People Aren't Small

I am fairly certain that it is a universal thought that we all feel under-appreciated.  How often to you hear of someone, that, with all of their being, smiles at the end of every work day and can't wait to come back for more the next day.  Most jobs seem to have a high and a low point, at least that is what I think.

Yesterday I was getting my exercise in after school in the school building.  As I was power walking or running through the halls, I took notice of our custodial staff here at Wharton Elementary School.  Some of my biggest fans work here when there aren't any students.  Still they continue to do it for the students (and a paycheck mind you).  Every day one teacher aide, here at school, moonlights as our chief custodian.  I cannot fathom the number of hours she is here.  She always encourages me when I pass her by.  I glanced in a room while I was exercising and wondered if I had thanked another employee for my room always being vacuumed when I arrive every day?  She is terrific!  I made a mental note that I need to thank people more often.  I want a servants heart full of gratitude.

This morning I made a mad dash to the grocery store to pick up something I needed for after school and tonight's supper.  In line behind me at 7:05 was a man in scrubs with a box of white wine.  It occurred to me that no one dreams of working Emergency Room duty through the night to see people who you might not otherwise ever meet.  He was beginning his evening while I was just beginning my day.  Was he thanked for his service?

Another support staff here delivers paper to our workrooms and always with a smile.  Despite the fact he can't possibly have a fabulous social life because he is here every night at school until after 10, he is still happy to be here.  Thank you.

There is another support staff member here that the kids respect and need.  She goes out of her way to make sure we have the instructional materials we have asked for from the library with a smile and follow through that you wouldn't believe!  Despite some personal difficulties, she loves on the students but stays firm in discipline.  I appreciate her!

We all have duties and tasks on our lists.  I don't think it is possible to complete a life task list, and who would really want to anyway?  I am going to try to remember that through my laundry, cooking, teaching, driving, bill paying, and just plain living a lot of people make my life better and I thank them.




No comments:

Post a Comment